- Title: More than 600 migrants and three bodies arrive in Sicily
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: CATANIA, ITALY (OCTOBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) EUROPEAN UNION NAVAL FORCE MEDITERRANEAN (EUNAVFORMED) SHIP ENTERPRISE IN PORT WITH RESCUED MIGRANTS ON DECK MIGRANTS ON DECK RESCUERS ON GANGPLANK WAITING TO BEGIN DISEMBARKATION PROCEDURES MIGRANTS ON DECK LOOKING ON MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING SHIP IN PORT MIGRANTS WAITING TO WALK DOWN GANGPLANK, RESCUER SIGNALLING TO MIGRANTS TO WALK DOWN ONE AT A TIME VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS ON DECK LOOKING ON AS THEY WAIT TO DISEMBARK YOUNG GIRL HELD BY MAN WAVING BEFORE DISEMBARKING SHIP / WOMEN AND CHILDREN WALKING DOWN GANGPLANK / RESCUER PICKING UP YOUNG BOY AND CARRYING HIM DOWN GANGPLANK OFFICER ON DECK BY MIGRANTS LOOKING ON MIGRANT WEARING IDENTIFICATION WRIST BAND SEATED ON DECK WITH OTHER MIGRANTS MIGRANTS ON DECK WAITING TO DISEMBARK MALE MIGRANTS ON DECK TALKING AS THEY WAIT TO DISEMBARK SHIP ENTERPRISE IN PORT WITH MIGRANTS ON DECK WAITING TO DISEMBARK
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 09:35
- Keywords: migrants rescue bodies Catania Sicily port Eunavformed ship Enterprise
- Location: CATANIA, ITALY
- City: CATANIA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015585YYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The European Union task force EUNAVFOR Med vessel Enterprise on Sunday (October 23) arrived in Sicily's Catania carrying 625 migrants rescued from boats in the Mediterranean.
Aboard the vessel were also the bodies of three migrants recovered during the rescue operations.
The migrants aboard the Enterprise were part of some 3,300 people rescued in 24 operations on Friday (October 21).
According to the Italian coast guard most of them were from sub-Saharan Africa and had set off from Libya.
The migrants were rescued from 20 rubber boats, one larger vessel and three smaller boats, the coast guard said. They were transferred onto rescue vessels and taken to land in Italy. In addition to the 625 migrants arriving in Catania on Sunday, more than 450 migrants were taken to port in Naples while other groups of around 1,000 and 800 migrants were due to arrive in Sicily's Palermo and Augusta on Sunday.
In a statement on Saturday (October 22) evening the Italian coast guard said around 2,400 migrants had been rescued in 20 operations on Saturday. In total 14 bodies had been recovered between Friday and Saturday, the coast guard added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None