- Title: Kurdish counter-terrorism forces clash with IS south of Kirkuk
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: SOUTH OF KIRKUK, IRAQ (OCTOBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) MEMBERS OF KURDISH COUNTER-TERRORISM SERVICE (CTS) FIRING FROM MACHINE-GUN MOUNTED ON HUMVEE MEMBER OF KURDISH CTS FIRING MACHINE-GUN MEMBERS OF SERVICE DEPLOYED TO AREA/ AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE MEMBERS OF FORCES IN AREA/ SMOKE RISING IN THE DISTANCE MEMBERS OF FORCES TALKING MILITARY VEHICLES DEPLOYED TO AREA/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE MEMBERS OF FORCES FIRING / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE VARIOUS OF TROOPS ADVANCING AND FIRING/ AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE / HOUSES AT A DISTANCE AUDIO OF GUNFIRE / HOUSES AT A DISTANCE WHERE TROOPS ARE FIRING HEAVY MACHINE-GUN FIRE/ CLOUD OF DIRT CAUSED BY FIRING SOLDIER TAKING COVER AS HE FIRES TWO SOLDIERS STANDING AT STREET CORNER IN RESIDENTIAL QUARTER / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE MILITARY ARMOURED VEHICLE DRIVING IN RESIDENTIAL STREET / FIRING VARIOUS OF ARMOURED VEHICLE SOLDIER ON TOP OF VEHICLE FIRING SOLDIERS INSIDE VEHICLE FIRING ARMOURED VEHICLE AND SOLDIERS DEPLOYED TO RESIDENTIAL AREA AUDIO OF GUNFIRE/ WHITE SMOKE IN SKY GROUP OF TROOPS IN RESIDENTIAL QUARTER
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 12:03
- Keywords: Kirkuk Islamic State counter-terrorism unit clashes gunfire
- Location: SOUTH OF KIRKUK, IRAQ
- City: SOUTH OF KIRKUK, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00155856IV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Kurdistan's Counter-Terrorism forces launched a security operation against Islamic State in the south of Kirkuk on Saturday (October 22).
The offensive came a day after the militants attacked several buildings in the northern Iraqi city, killing 18 members of the security forces and workers at a power station.
Backed by armoured vehicles, members of the Sulaimaniya-based elite Special Forces were deployed to the districts of Mualmeen and Wahid Huzeran, south of the city.
The Kurdish units engaged in heavy clashes with the militants, lasting for hours.
The forces also combed the area for militants who may still be holed up in houses.
Authorities in the city declared an end to the militant attack later on Saturday and lifted a curfew in the city on Sunday (October 23) morning.
At least eight militants were also killed in Friday's attack, security sources said.
Kurdish Peshmerga fighters took control of Kirkuk in 2014, after the Iraqi army withdrew from the region, fleeing an Islamic State advance through northern and western Iraq.
The attacks in Kirkuk came four days after Kurdish and Iraqi forces started an offensive with the backing of a U.S.-led coalition to take back Mosul.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None