- Title: Lithuania readies for new government as run-off round voting begins
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: VILNIUS, LITHUANIA (OCTOBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BUILDING BEING USED AS POLLING STATION POSTERS OF CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR PARLIAMENT POLLING STATION INTERIOR WITH OFFICIALS SEATED AT TABLES BALLOT PAPERS WOMAN RECEIVING BALLOT PAPER LITHUANIAN FLAG ON WALL OF ROOM MAN ENTERING POLLING BOOTH VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PLACING VOTING PAPERS IN BALLOT BOX COAT OF ARMS OF LITHUANIA SHOWING KNIGHT ON HORSEBACK BALLOT BOX WITH LITHUANIAN COAT OF ARMS ON FRONT
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 07:34
- Keywords: Lithuania election voting second round parliament
- Location: VILNIUS, LITHUANIA
- City: VILNIUS, LITHUANIA
- Country: Lithuania
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0015583Z2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Lithuania faces a change of government as a run-off round of voting started on Sunday (October 23), with 68 single-member constituencies in the parliament to be decided.
In the first round of the national election of half of the 141 member parliament on October 9, the ruling Social Democrats sank to a distant third place, leaving centre-right parties in a strong position to form a new coalition government.
First place in that round went to the centre-right Lithuanian Peasants and Greens party with 21.6 percent, 728 votes ahead of the Homeland Union party.
The centre-left Social Democrats took only 14.4 percent of the vote, despite opinion polls indicating they would get a better showing.
Analysts said the party had paid the price for failing to rejuvenate the economy which has struggled to catch up with the richer countries in Europe.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None