- Title: Turkey sends aid convoy with supplies for people fleeing Mosul
- Date: 21st October 2016
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (OCTOBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) AID TRUCKS AT TURKISH RED CRESCENT HEADQUARTERS / RED CRESCENT OFFICIALS STANDING AID TRUCKS AT TURKISH RED CRESCENT HEADQUARTERS/TURKISH FLAGS HUNG ON TRUCKS MORE OF AID TRUCKS AT TURKISH RED CRESCENT HEADQUARTERS AID TRUCKS AT TURKISH RED CRESCENT HEADQUARTERS / DRIVERS AND AID WORKER STANDING PRESIDENT OF TURKISH RED CRESCENT, KEREM KINIK/RED CRESCENT OFFICIALS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) PRESIDENT OF TURKISH RED CRESCENT, KEREM KINIK, SAYING: "Today we are sending trucks carrying humanitarian aid to the region to initially meet the demand of 5,000-6,000 displaced people from Mosul and surrounding villages. Our friends in the area will meet the trucks upon their arrival and distribute the aid." PRESIDENT OF TURKISH RED CRESCENT, KEREM KINIK/RED CRESCENT OFFICIALS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH RED CRESCENT, KEREM KINIK, SAYING: "We will meet the urgent demands of these people initially with 500,000 tonnes of aid material. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but we are gearing up for a greater influx that may happen in the future." AID TRUCKS LEAVING/AID TRUCKS HONKING HORN/PEOPLE WAVING HANDS RED CRESCENT OFFICIALS WAVING HANDS/MEDIA AID TRUCKS DRIVING AWAY MORE OF AID TRUCKS DRIVING AWAY/PEOPLE STANDING
- Embargoed: 5th November 2016 10:36
- Keywords: Turkey Iraq humanitarian aid Red Crescent Mosul aid convoy refugees
- Location: ANKARA, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00154Y7JGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkish Red Crescent on Friday (October 21) sent twenty aid trucks carrying food and humanitarian supplies for thousands of displaced Iraqis fleeing the ongoing offensive in Mosul.
"Today we are sending trucks carrying humanitarian aid to the region to initially meet the demand of 5,000-6,000 displaced people from Mosul and surrounding villages," said Kerem Kinik, the President of Turkish Red Crescent.
Kirim told reporters the aid convoy contains half a million tonnes of aid and The Turkish Red Crescent is "gearing up for a greater influx that may happen in the future".
The United Nations has said the battle would require the world's biggest and most complex humanitarian effort, which could leave up to 1 million people homeless.
Iraqi government forces launched a U.S.-backed offensive on Monday (October 16) to drive out Islamic State from the northern city of Mosul, a high-stakes battle to retake the militants' last major stronghold in the country.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None