- Title: Oxfam stages protest in Brussels to highlight refugee crisis ahead of EU summit
- Date: 20th October 2016
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 20, 2016) (REUTERS) OXFAM PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (English) "Europe is failing to protect people in need" VARIOUS OF LIFE-JACKETS DISPLAY ON ROAD, CLOSE TO VENUE OF EU SUMMIT OXFAM PROTESTERS HOLDING UP BANNER NEXT TO LIFE-JACKETS ON ROAD LIFE-JACKETS ON ROAD / OXFAM INTERNATIONAL DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF CAMPAIGNS AND ADVOCACY, NATALIA ALONSO, SPEAKING WITH REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) OXFAM INTERNATIONAL DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF CAMPAIGNS AND ADVOCACY, NATALIA ALONSO, SAYING: "What we want of the European leaders today that they are meeting in the Council is that they do a U-turn of European migration policy. Shutting borders is not helping these people, it's making things worse. More suffering is being created because of that." VARIOUS OF LIFE-JACKETS LYING ON ROAD PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER BY NEXT TO LIFE-JACKETS ON ROAD VARIOUS OF POLICE AND MILITARY VEHICLES OUTSIDE EU COUNCIL BUILDING POLICEMAN ROPING OFF BICYCLES PARKED OUTSIDE EU COUNCIL POLICEMAN HANGING INFO BANNER ON BICYCLE PARKING SPOT OUTSIDE EU COUNCIL EU BANNER ON FACADE OF COUNCIL BUILDING POLICE VAN OUTSIDE EU COUNCIL BUILDING EU FLAGS EU COUNCIL / MILITARY VEHICLE PARKED OUTSIDE SOLDIERS STANDING GUARD OUTSIDE EU COUNCIL VARIOUS OF PRESS AREA AT EU COUNCIL EU MEMBER STATES FLAGS
- Embargoed: 4th November 2016 10:03
- Keywords: migrants refugees EU European Union summit protesters borders Oxfam
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees
- Reuters ID: LVA00154T8MDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Oxfam staged a protest on Thursday (October 20) in Brussels to highlight the refugee crisis ahead of an EU summit as they call for a change of what they say is a "shutting-down borders" approach to migration.
Orange life-jackets left behind by migrants on the Greek beaches of Chios filled a street close to the Council building where EU leaders are set to gather later on Thursday.
Oxfam International Deputy Director Natalia Alonso told Reuters that the display was meant to send a message to EU leaders and highlight the dangers adults and children take by risking their lives to reach European soil.
"What we want of the European leaders today that they are meeting in the Council is that they do a U-turn of European migration policy. Shutting borders is not helping these people, it's making things worse. More suffering is being created because of that," she said.
Meanwhile, security preparations were underway outside the Council building ahead of the two-day talks expected to address Europe's migration issues, the war in Syria, sanctions on Russia and the North American trade deals.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None