- Title: Gunman kills 14 at shrine in Afghan capital, police say
- Date: 11th October 2016
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (OCTOBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF THE SHI'ITE SHRINE WHERE THE ATTACKERS ENTERED / GUNFIRE BEING HEARD ENTRANCE GATE OF THE SHRINE WITH PEOPLE STANDING CONVOY OF AFGHAN SECURITY FORCES ARRIVING AT THE SITE OF SHRINE POLICE GETTING OUT OF THEIR VEHICLES AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT SITE OF ATTACK AFGHAN MAN CARRYING A WOUNDED GIRL AND TAKING HER TO AMBULANCE MORE OF PEOPLE PLACING WOUNDED PEOPLE INTO THE AMBULANCE MORE OF WOUNDED INSIDE THE AMBULANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) EYEWITNESS, JAMSHID JAN, SAYING: "I was at the site of attack and saw around 10 people, four of them were already martyred and the rest were wounded. They all were taken to nearby hospitals. Also the attackers were dressed in police uniforms." AFGHAN POLICEMAN TALKING ON RADIO AFGHAN SECURITY PERSONNEL AT THE AREA PEOPLE LOOKING INSIDE THE SHRINE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) EYEWITNESS, SARDAR HEDAYAT; SAYING: "People were gathered inside the shrine for worshipping when the attackers arrived. First they shot the policemen at the gate of the shrine and then they entered the compound." BULLET CASE ON THE GROUND CROWD OUTSIDE THE GATE OF THE SHRINE AMBULANCE LEAVING ATTACK SITE
- Embargoed: 26th October 2016 20:23
- Keywords: Afghanistan gunmen shrine shooting Kabul Shi'ite Ashura
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA00153KBHAF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
At least 14 people were killed on Tuesday (October 11) when at least one gunman opened fire on worshippers gathered at a shrine in the Afghan capital Kabul for a Shi'ite holy day, officials said.
Thirteen civilians and one police officer died, with 36 people wounded, said Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi.
Ministry of Public Health officials said at least 43 people had been injured in the incident and had been taken to hospitals in the city for treatment.
The attack began just before 8 p.m. (3:30 p.m. GMT), police said, with witnesses reporting an explosion followed by gunfire.
Initial reports put the number of attackers at three, but Sediqqi said police special forces who responded to the scene found and killed only one gunman.
But eyewitness comments point to more than one attacker.
"I was at the site of attack and saw around 10 people, four of them were already martyred and the rest were wounded. They all were taken to nearby hospitals. Also the attackers were dressed in police uniforms," said Jamshid Jan.
"People were gathered inside the shrine for worshipping when the attackers arrived. First they shot the policemen at the gate of the shrine and then they entered the compound," said Sardar Hedayat.
Security forces at the scene had evacuated the shrine as the attack unfolded, said Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi.
The attack occurred at one of Kabul's largest shrines as Shi'ite Muslims had gathered to observe the Ashura holy day, which commemorates the 7th Century death of a grandson of Islam's Prophet Mohammad.
The attacker was dressed in a police or military uniform, according to a police official.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None