- Title: Germany's Merkel says Ethiopia must allow protests
- Date: 11th October 2016
- Summary: ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA (OCTOBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL STANDING FOR ETHIOPIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM MERKEL WITH ETHIOPIAN PRIME MINISTER HAILEMARIAM DESSALEGN VARIOUS OF MERKEL INSPECTING GUARD OF HONOUR
- Embargoed: 26th October 2016 12:44
- Keywords: Ethiopia Africa Merkel Germany protests
- Location: ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
- City: ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
- Country: Ethiopia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00153K9I6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel said during a visit to the Ethiopian capital on Tuesday (October 11) that protests there must be allowed and the police response should be proportionate.
She also said opposition groups should be included in the political process.
Ethiopia has been hit by a wave of protests over land and political rights for more than a year, in which rights groups and the opposition say police have used excessive force.
The German leader is on the last leg of a three day trip which has also included stops in Mali and Niger. She is seeking investment opportunities which she hopes will help drive economic growth and curb future migration to Europe.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.