- Title: Firing tear gas, Turkish police curtail anniversary memorial for Ankara bombings
- Date: 10th October 2016
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (FILE -OCTOBER 10, 2015) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CROWD GATHERED IN THE AREA / BODIES ON THE GROUND COVERED WITH PRO-KURDISH PEOPLES' DEMOCRATIC PARTY (HDP) FLAGS
- Embargoed: 25th October 2016 10:04
- Keywords: Turkey blast suicide bombings anniversary commemoration police pepper spray
- Location: ANKARA, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA00353F6E6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Riot police used water cannon and pepper spray on Monday (October 10) to disperse families and activists gathered to mark the first anniversary of two suicide bombings on a peace rally that killed more than 100 people and wounded hundreds of others.
Governor of Ankara Ercan Topaca, who attended a limited commemoration ceremony, banned demonstrations and protests, citing an emergency rule.
Police blocked the roads and did not allow access for some families and activists trying to march to the train station for commemoration. A small group of families were given access to the area after skirmishes.
107 people were killed and more than 500 people were injured on October 10, 2015 when two suspected Islamic State suicide bombers struck a rally of pro-Kurdish and labour activists outside Ankara's main train station in the worst attack of its kind on Turkish soil.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None