- Title: Putin arrives in Turkey for energy summit, gas pipeline deal in offing
- Date: 10th October 2016
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (OCTOBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) PLANE CARRYING RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN TAXIING ON TARMAC AT ATATURK AIRPORT ARMED SECURITY MORE PLANE TAXING / OFFICIALS STANDING ON TARMAC TO RECEIVE PUTIN RUSSIAN FLAG PUTIN SHAKING HANDS WITH FLIGHT ATTENDANT, DISEMBARKING / PUTIN SHAKING HANDS WITH TURKISH OFFICIALS POLICEMAN PUTIN SHAKING HANDS WITH TURKISH OFFICIALS, WAVING AT MEDIA, GETTING INTO CAR PLANE, CONVOY ON TARMAC CAR CARRYING PUTIN LEAVING
- Embargoed: 25th October 2016 12:28
- Keywords: Turkey Russia Russian President Vladimir Putin Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan energy summit TurkStream World Energy Congress trade
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA00153FA62V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived at Istanbul's Ataturk airport on Monday (October 10) to attend the World Energy Congress as Turkey and Russia headed towards final agreement on the TurkStream natural gas pipeline project.
Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak said on Monday he expected a Russian-Turkish intergovernmental agreement on the project to be signed in Istanbul this week.
Novak told reports the agreement document was almost ready and he expected it would be signed within the framework of the World Energy Congress.
Novak said the issue of a gas price discount for Turkey's state-owned crude oil and gas pipelines company Botas was not linked to the construction of the pipeline.
TurkStream talks were halted last year after Turkey shot down a Russian air force jet and Russia retaliated with trade sanctions. But since then Moscow and Ankara have made significant progress to mend relations.
Putin was due to meet Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on the sidelines of the summit.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None