- Title: Australian F1 strippers arrive at Malaysia court
- Date: 6th October 2016
- Summary: SEPANG, MALAYSIA (OCTOBER 6, 2016) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** EXTERIOR COURT/ENTRANCE SIGNAGE READING (English) "SEPANG COURT COMPLEX" REPORTERS/CAMERAMAN STANDING AT COURTHOUSE LOBBY COURTHOUSE LOBBY/REGISTRATION COUNTER POLICE PERSONNEL STANDING COURTHOUSE DIRECTORY CAMERAMAN FILMING ARRIVAL OF AUSTRALIAN MEN WHO STRIPPED DOWN TO THEIR UNDERWEAR AT THE FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX IN MALAYSIA VARIOUS OF AUSTRALIAN MEN WALKING
- Embargoed: 21st October 2016 02:57
- Keywords: Australia FI court strippers
- Location: SEPANG, MALAYSIA
- City: SEPANG, MALAYSIA
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA00152V93D1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nine Australian men who stripped down to their underwear at the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Malaysia at the weekend arrived at court early on Thursday (October 6).
The men were being held on remand pending investigations for public indecency and provocation, state news agency Bernama reported, quoting local police.
Photos and videos of the group drinking beer from their shoes while wearing underwear emblazoned with the Malaysian flag at Sunday's (October 2) race drew an outcry on social media and in the Malaysian press, with many calling it a sign of disrespect.
Malaysia's deputy home minister Nur Jazlan Mohamed told reporters on Tuesday (October 4) that police would investigate before recommending charges to the attorney-general.
If found guilty they could face a two year jail sentence.
In June 2015, four Western tourists were fined and deported from Malaysia after posing naked on the peak of Mount Kinabalu in Sabah, angering locals who consider the mountain sacred.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None