- Title: Explosion in Kabul wounds at least six - police and witnesses
- Date: 5th October 2016
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (OCTOBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE CORDON / SMASHED WINDOWS OF BUS / SECURITY FORCES ARMED AFGHAN SECURITY PERSONNEL AT SCENE OF EXPLOSION SHATTERED WINDOWS VARIOUS OF AFGHAN SECURITY FORCES VARIOUS OF DAMAGED WINDOWS/BUILDING NEAR SCENE OF EXPLOSION AMBULANCE AFGHAN SECURITY FORCES HEAD OF POLICE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION DEPARTMENT ARRIVING MAN ON BALCONY / BROKEN WINDOWS OF BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) HEAD OF POLICE CRIMINAL AND INVESTIGATION DEPARTMENT, FRIDOON OBIDI, SAYING: "A suicide bomber targeted a bus belonging to the Ministry of Mining and Petroleum, fortunately the bus was empty, as a result of the explosion the bus driver was wounded and some six other people were injured, caused by debris from the smashed windows."
- Embargoed: 20th October 2016 17:20
- Keywords: Kabul explosion wounded police
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Reuters ID: LVA00152QCCHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:An explosion struck a bus carrying government employees during rush hour traffic in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Wednesday (October 5) wounding at least six people, police and witnesses said.
A police spokesman, who gave a slightly higher casualty toll, said the bus had no passengers at the time.
"A suicide bomber targeted a bus belonging to the Ministry of Mines, fortunately the bus was empty, as a result of the explosion the bus driver was wounded and some six other people were injured, caused by debris from the smashed windows," head of the police criminal investigations department Fridoon Obidi said.
The blast occurred just before 5 p.m. (1230 GMT) on a major road near a university and an old parliament building.
The target appeared to be the bus for employees of the Ministry of Mining and Petroleum, said Sediq Seqqi, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry.
Among the wounded were three men and one woman, officials said.
Video from the scene showed a small bus with its windows shattered by the blast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None