- Title: Suicide bombers hit Shi'ite gatherings in Baghdad
- Date: 3rd October 2016
- Summary: AMIL DISTRICT, BAGHDAD, IRAQ (OCTOBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) VEHICLES DRIVING PAST BLAST SITE DEBRIS AT SITE OF BLAST BLOODSTAIN ON GROUND VARIOUS OF MEN STANDING AT SITE OF BLAST MASHTAL, BAGHDAD, IRAQ (OCTOBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) VEHICLES DRIVING PAST TENT OF SHI'ITE PILGRIMS WHERE BLAST TOOK PLACE VARIOUS OF MEN CLEANING UP ROAD BY BLAST SITE BURNT OUT CHAIR DEBRIS STAINED WITH BLOOD BURNT OUT CHAIR BURNT OUT CHAIR / MEN CLEANING ROAD DEBRIS AT SCENE VEHICLES PASSING BY TENT WHERE SHI'ITE PILGRIMS WERE GATHERED
- Embargoed: 18th October 2016 14:48
- Keywords: Iraq Baghdad suicide bombing blast Shi'ite pilgrims
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA00152GBL8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Suicide bombers attacked two Shi'ite Muslim processions in Baghdad on Monday (October 3), killing at least 11 people and wounding more than 40, police and medical sources said.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the blasts at the Shi'ite events commemorating the slaying of Prophet Mohammad's grandson Hussein.
A bomber detonated his explosive vest in the middle of one Shi'ite procession in the Amil district of southern Baghdad, killing six and wounding 25, the sources said.
A similar attack hit a procession in the eastern Mashtal district, killing five and wounding 18, the sources added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None