- Title: Palestinians react to the death of Peres blaming him for their suffering
- Date: 28th September 2016
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (SEPTEMBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VEHICLES AND PEOPLE IN STREET PALESTINIAN FLAG VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN FROM RAMALLAH, HALIM JABER, SAYING: "He committed many crimes, one of them was in Qana. It is known that he has killed many Palestinians despite that he is a moderate leader. Shimon Peres used to call for peace and for Arabs and Israelis to live together in the same area." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN FROM RAMALLAH, ABED AL-HAKIM, SAYING: "He has a lot of Palestinian blood on his hands from his crimes against the Palestinian nation and the Arab nation as well, (during his era) there was war with Egypt, Syria and Palestine. This man helped in building the state of Israel and he brought the nuclear bomb into Israel." GAZA CITY, GAZA (SEPTEMBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) VEHICLES IN STREET PEOPLE IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF GAZA, ZAHRA AL-NAJJAR, SAYING: "As a Palestinian I feel happy because Shimon Peres and all of them (Israeli leaders) was part of imposing siege on Gaza and on the Palestinian nation." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AND VEHICLES IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF GAZA, AHMAD AL-OMOUR, SAYING: "I feel happy like all the Palestinians and I hope that all the (Israeli) leaders will follow." VEHICLES AND PEOPLE ON STREET
- Embargoed: 13th October 2016 08:54
- Keywords: Israel Peres former president death Palestinians Ramallah West Bank Gaza
- Location: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00151HALHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians have reacted on Wednesday (September 28) to the death of Shimon Peres, with some blaming him for their suffering in the West Bank and Gaza.
Former Israeli president and elder statesman Shimon Peres died in Tel Aviv on Wednesday aged 93, his family and doctor said.
Peres was hospitalised following a stroke two weeks ago and had made some progress before a sudden deterioration in his condition on Tuesday (September 13).
Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza blamed Peres for their suffering.
"It is known that he has killed many Palestinians despite that he is a moderate leader," said Halim Jaber resident of Ramallah in the West Bank.
"As a Palestinian I feel happy because Shimon Peres and all of them (Israeli leaders) was part of imposing siege on Gaza and on the Palestinian nation," said Zahra Al-Najjar, resident of Gaza.
Peres was part of almost every major development in Israel since the country's founding in 1948. In a career spanning nearly 70 years, he served in a dozen cabinets and was twice a Labour prime minister.
He shared the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize with the late former Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat for reaching an interim peace deal in 1993 which never turned into a lasting treaty.
Peres held the largely ceremonial post of president from 2007-2014 and used the pulpit to continue to advocate peace.
Earlier in September, after a series of health scares including a mild heart attack, Peres received an artificial pacemaker.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None