- Title: Three blasts kill at least 17 in Baghdad - police, medics
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: SCENE OF BLAST PAVEMENT CURB DAMAGED BY BLAST POLICE STANDING INSIDE CORDON NEAR SCENE SECURITY FORCES AT SCENE VARIOUS OF POLICE AND VEHICLES AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 11:31
- Keywords: Iraq Baghdad blast bomb al-Jadida police
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA00351CEFYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Three blasts killed at least 17 people and wounded more than 50 in predominantly Shi'ite Muslim districts of Baghdad on Tuesday (September 27), police and medical sources said.
A suicide bomber detonated his explosive vest in a commercial street in the eastern al-Jadida area of the Iraqi capital, killing nine people and wounding more than 30, they said.
Another suicide attack hit a commercial street of Bayaa in western Baghdad, killing six and wounding 22, the sources added.
A roadside bomb also exploded near a gathering of cattle herders and merchants in al-Radhwaniya, also in western Baghdad, killing two people, they said.
No group immediately claimed responsibility. But Islamic State has intensified bomb attacks in government-held areas this year as it loses territory to U.S.-backed Iraqi government forces and Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None