- Title: Ewan McGregor's directorial debut American Pastoral shows in Zurich
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND (SEPTEMBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, EWAN MCGREGOR, SAYING: "Well, I am very lucky because we were both attached to make American Pastoral for years, Jennifer longer than I. But we never met one another. The film was going to happen and didn't and was sort of slipping away. And I always wanted to direct for a long, long time and I always wanted to wait to have a story that I felt I was burning to tell. And then I was talking to my wife about the fact that I didn't think this one was going to happen and she said 'you should direct that one'. And I went like…"
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 17:20
- Keywords: American Pastoral Jennifer Connelly Ewan McGregor Zurich Film Festival
- Location: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Film
- Reuters ID: LVA00251CFXOT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Scottish actor Ewan McGregor presented his full feature film directorial debut 'American Pastoral' on Monday (September 26) at the Zurich Film Festival.
McGregor, 45, explained that it was his wife, who was behind his decision to go behind the camera.
"I always wanted to direct for a long time, but I always wanted to wait to have a story that I felt I was burning to tell. Then I was talking to my wife about the fact that I didn't think this one was going to happen and she said - 'you should direct that one'."
American Pastoral sees McGregor in the leading role as a hard-working American man in the late sixties whose family begins to fall apart after his daughter Merry becomes politically radicalized.
Jennifer Connelly, who plays McGregor's wife in the film, said the actor had a balanced approach when it came to directing.
"He took time to listen to everyone's questions and give them space to express themselves and explore and collaborate. But at the same time he maintained I think his own vision making very confident choices," Connelly said.
Meanwhile McGregor denied rumours that he could be the next James Bond. "If there are auditions for James Bond, I don't know about them. So I am going to phone my agent", he said.
McGregor is soon to be seen in the second 'Trainspotting' movie as well as the third season of the television series 'Fargo'.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None