- Title: USA: Bill Cosby and Hugh Hefner announce the upcoming 2010 Playboy Jazz Festival
- Date: 26th February 2010
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BILL COSBY AND FESTIVAL PRODUCER CHAN ANNOUNCING THE LINE-UP OF MUSICIANS FOR THE PLAYBOY JAZZ FESTIVAL BILL COSBY TALKING TO GUESTS HUGH HEFNER POSING FOR PHOTOS WITH MUSICIANS WHO WILL BE PERFORMING AT THE PLAYBOY JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Embargoed: 13th March 2010 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVADOGIR0LO7U2THLXZ89BMDJ0Z0
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Master of Ceremonies Bill Cosby and Playboy founder Hugh Hefner on Thursday (February 25) announced the line-up of musicians scheduled to perform at the 32nd Annual Playboy Jazz Festival.
The news conference took place at the famed Playboy Mansion in the hills of ritzy Bel Air.
The two-day show will be held on a weekend in June at the Hollywood Bowl.
There jazz greats and upcoming jazz artists will take turns playing to a crowd of 35,000 fans.
Cosby has played host for 28 of the 32 years the festival has been in existence.
This year will mark his 29th year at the helm.
The comedian promised the event would feature something for everyone to enjoy.
"One band is gone and another one shows up right there," explained Cosby, 72. "There's nobody coming out to mike and stop for five, six minutes or something like that. Boom. You didn't like that, here-- how about this one? You loved that one? Here, try this one. It just keeps flowing."
Cosby may be best known for producing and starring in the family sitcom "The Cosby Show," which aired for eight seasons from 1984 to 1992.
Meanwhile, Hefner shared what he believes makes the jazz festival a one-of-a-kind event.
"How could you pick a better place than the Hollywood Bowl?," asked Hefner, 83. "The place that, you know, dreams come from. So, putting it all together, Playboy and George Wein, and the great musicians, and the Hollywood Bowl, and Cos. I mean, that's a party."
Cosby helped longtime festival producer Darlene Chan announce the line-up of musicians while keeping the crowd laughing.
He also mingled with guests afterwards, taking time to greet some teenaged jazz artists who provided music for the gathering.
Among the headliners this year will be The Chick Corea Freedom Band, George Benson, The Manhattan Transfer and Los Van Van.
Corea and his saxophonist Kenny Garrett earned Grammys this year for their album "Five Peace Live."
Benson, who is a ten-time Grammy winner, will make his sixth appearance at the famed festival.
Celebrating their 40th anniversary together, The Manhattan Transfer is the first group to ever win Grammy Awards in both the pop and jazz categories in the same year.
Los Van Van, known as the "King of Cuban Dance Orchestras" is back in the show after a ten-year absence.
Other international entries include Tiempo Libre, also from Cuba, and Salif Keita of Mali.
In addition, Cosby's own band, the Cos of Good Music, will also be performing.
The Playboy Jazz Festival will take place at the Hollywood Bowl on June 12 and 13, 2010.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.