- Title: GERMANY: GIANT CRABS EXHIBITION AT THE SEA LIFE AQUARIUM IN OBERHAUSEN.
- Date: 18th March 2005
- Summary: (L!1) OBERHAUSEN, GERMANY (MARCH 18, 2005) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) ( * BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) WS/EXTERIOR: OF SEA LIFE AQUARIUM IN OBERHAUSEN CU: OF SEA LIFE SIGN. TRACK: SEA LIFE EMPLOYEE AND ROBERT DONOSO, MANAGER OF SEA LIFE OBERHAUSEN CARRYING A PLASTIC CONTAINER WITH A BLUE EUROPEAN LOBSTER INSIDE INTO THE EXHIBITION AND PAN TO THE CRAB IN THE CONTAINER. CU/PULL OUT: OF LOBSTER'S HEAD AND PINCERS AND PULL OUT TO WHOLE CRAB. SCU: SEA LIFE EMPLOYEE STANDING NEXT TO PHOTOGRAPHERS. CU: DONOSO PICKING LOBSTER UP AND HOLDING IT IN THE AIR TO SHOW PHOTOGRAPHERS. CU: OF LOBSTER'S HEAD. PULL OUT: LOBSTER BEING PUT BACK INTO THE CONTAINER. LAS: OF LOBSTER INSIDE AQUARIUM. CU: OF CHILDREN'S FACES AND PULL OUT TO SHOW THEM STANDING NEXT TO AN AQUARIUM. CU: OF LOBSTER IN AQUARIUM. DONOSO AND SEA LIFE EMPLOYEE HOLDING A BUCKET AND PAN TO KING CRAB INSIDE THE BUCKET AND PUTTING BUCKET DOWN. CU: SEA LIFE EMPLOYEE PICKING KING CRAB UP WITH GLOVES ON AND SHOWING IT TO CHILDREN. CU: CLOSE OF CHILDREN'S FACES AS THEY LOOK AT THE CRAB AND PULL OUT. CU: OF KING CRAB'S EYES. CU: OF CHILDREN LOOKING FRIGHTENED AND PAN TO THE KING CRAB BEING HELD BY A KEEPER. VARIOUS: OF CHILDREN TOUCHING KING CRAB'S LEGS AND PAN TO CHILDREN. TRACK DOWN: KING CRAB IN AQUARIUM SEEN THROUGH THE GLASS. SCU: (SOUNDBITE) (German) ROBERT DONOSO, MANAGER OF SEA LIFE OBERHAUSEN, SAYING: "They really are quite special animals and you don't see them that often in aquariums. Of course the highlight is the Kamchatka crab, and this crab is one of the biggest. When it is fully grown, it can reach a weigh of 14 to 15 kilogrammes, and a diameter of a little above 1,80 metres. They really are little monsters." CU: OF KING CRAB IN AQUARIUM AND PAN TO OTHER KING CRAB ON FLOOR OF AQUARIUM. CU: OF KING CRAB'S FACE. CU: MAN PHOTOGRAPHING KING CRAB IN THE AQUARIUM.
- Embargoed: 2nd April 2005 13:00
- Location: OBERHAUSEN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Entertainment,Environment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAEDK2BH5PQU20E8ZX8W47N1QQ5
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Known as the "robber-knights" of the sea, giant sea crabs take centre stage in Oberhausen.
Six new aquariums have been purpose-built at Sea Life in Oberhausen, in the west German state of Rhineland-Palatinate, for the exhibition entitled "Giant crabs - Robber-knights of the seas." The display is concerned with interesting facts and figures about crustaceans, their hard shells and sharp pincers.
Robert Donoso, Manager of Sea Life Oberhausen, told Reuters Television that the exhibition highlight is the Kamchatka king crab, also known as the giant crab. "When it is fully grown, it can reach a weigh of 14 to 15 kilogrammes, and a diameter of a something over 1.80 metres. They really are little monsters." According to Sea Life, the ideal habitat for these beasts of the deep is water which is colder than 10c.
Other crustaceans to be ogled at the exhibition include the European lobster, which is bright blue in colour, and the Chinese mitten crab.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None