- Title: USA-FILE-DIRTY HEADS U.S. band Dirty Heads look for success overseas
- Date: 6th November 2014
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 06, 2014) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) JARED WATSON, DIRTY HEADS, SAYING: "We're going to try and do the same thing that we've done here overseas. We know what works, we've got to put in the ground work, you've got to face to face with your fans - start small. You know, we're going to go over there and play small clubs just like we did here and just do what we do and hopefully it catches on."
- Embargoed: 21st November 2014 12:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA3L7DCQGQA6YIXRCUBTX32L1GK
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: After four albums "Dirty Heads" co-founder Jared Watson said the group has grown up and has learned to look outside themselves for inspiration.
"You write a song when you're younger, for us, it was our baby and we knew everything, we knew what was right and you're older and you don't know what's cool. You're just some producer who has sold out. You know, you're just that teenager and we just really realized that, you know, you got to listen to other people's ideas. Let them see it through sometimes because you could be wrong," said Watson.
The California-based group is enjoying the most success since their 2008 debut with the album and lead single "Sound of Change" and follow up track "My Sweet Summer".
"My Sweet Summer is very fun and a little bit more beachy and summery which is ingrained in us, that's who we are. And Sound of Change is just a little bit more evolved more leaning towards that bigger alternative hip-hop side rather than the reggae side of the band."
The five member band said the easiest cleanest way to describe themselves is as an alternative band with hip-hop and reggae influences.
"I think we're pretty genre-less. I feel that we've separated ourselves enough to where we have pretty much our own sound. I don't think we sound like anybody else. I think it's very easy to say like, 'oh, that's the Dirty Heads,' when you hear us."
The band is in the middle of a tour which will take them to Europe for the second time.
"We're going to try and do the same thing that we've done here overseas. We know what works, we've got to put in the ground work, you've got to face to face with your fans - start small. You know, we're going to go over there and play small clubs just like we did here and just do what we do and hopefully it catches on."
The "Sound Of Change" was released on July 8, 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None