- Title: EGYPT: NEW LAW PROHIBITING FOREIGN BELLY DANCERS TO PERFORM ANNOUNCED IN EGYPT
- Date: 31st October 2003
- Summary: SLV SULTANA, A RUSSIAN BELLY DANCER DANCING IN THE PROGRAM OF THE BOAT SV THE DRUMMER SLV SULTANA DANCING WITH TOURISTS
- Embargoed: 15th November 2003 12:00
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Legal System,Entertainment,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA4AZQ7RVJCY44BMK9M92UXA48R
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: A new law prohibiting foreign belly dancers to perform has been announced in Egypt.
It's already the traditional Egyptian dance and now it may become even more of an exclusive Egyptian performance art. Bellydancing, truly Egyptian but practised, studied and performed world-wide has become the stuff of courts in Egypt.
An Egyptian Ministry has in fact introduced a new decision, not allowing any foreign bellydancers to work in Egypt from next year.
The Ministry says the decision was made in order to reduce the number of foreign bellydancers in Egypt as work is low. The new law is supposed to reserve bellydancing work for Egyptian bellydancer.
The law follows a complaint by a group of Egyptian bellydancers suggesting that foreign bellydancers take away work from them.
Nour, a Russian belly dancer and 2 other Russian dancers filed a court case to object to the decision saying they were simply more popular than their Egyptian counterparts.
Their individual case is still being discussed in courts and a decision is not to be expected until at least November 2.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.