- Title: FILE: SWIMMING - Michael Phelps considering return to pool for Rio Olympics
- Date: 17th November 2013
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) MICHAEL PHELPS WITH GIRLFRIEND WIN MCMURRY ON RED CARPET AT 2013 ESPY AWARDS SHOW RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PHELPS INTERACTING WITH THE CHILDREN AT POOL VARIOUS OF PHELPS GIVING OUT AWARDS PHELPS GETTING READY TO GET IN POOL PHELPS IN POOL AND CHILDREN JUMPING IN PHELPS TEACHING CHILDREN HOW TO SWIM CLOSEUP OF PHELPS IN POOL PHELPS IN POOL WITH KIDS PHELPS SWIMMING PHELPS HANDING OUT MEDAL TO YOUNG BOY GENERAL VIEW OF PHELPS AND VISA REPRESENTATIVES ON THE STAGE AT NEWS CONFERENCE CAMERAMEN AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) OLYMPIC SWIMMING CHAMPION, MICHAEL PHELPS, SAYING: "Anything is possible, it really is. It doesn't matter if you're here or you're there, or you have this going in your life, you have that going in your life, because if you put your mind to it you can overcome anything." PHELPS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 2nd December 2013 12:00
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA6S9SSR1RI0P78D3LSJ3KJ5ZFL
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Michael Phelps has rejoined the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's drug testing program in a signal the most decorated Olympian could be considering a return to the swimming pool in time for the Rio de Janeiro Games in 2016.
Phelps retired after winning four gold and two silver medals at the 2012 London Olympics to take his career tally to 22, 18 of which were gold.
The 28-year-old was tested twice in the quarter ended September 30, according to data released by USADA. World swimming governing body FINA requires athletes to be tested for a minimum of nine months before competing in sanctioned events with March 2014 the earliest that Phelps could take part in an official meet.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None