- Title: INDIA: 12 PASSENGERS FEARED DEAD AFTER BUS PLUNGES INTO CANAL IN EAST DELHI
- Date: 14th December 1981
- Summary: GV Bus in canal (3 shots) GV Onlookers watch rescue attempt GV & SV Rescue workers around bus (2 shots) GV Soldier in boat trying to locate bodies in water SV Bus GV EXTERIOR J.P. Hospital, East Delhi GV Group of relatives waiting outside hospital TILT DOWN TO sack of belongings on ground SV PULL BACK TO GV INTERIOR Injured woman being treated by doctor SV Injured woman lying in hospital bed (0.51) BB
- Embargoed: 29th December 1981 12:00
- Location: EAST DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Accidents,General
- Reuters ID: LVA9QPMDD6GZMXYAEGI7HH4M5VJY
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: At least 12 people are feared to have died in the Indian capital, New Delhi on Friday (11 December) when a private bus fell off a bridge into a canal.
SYNOPSIS: The bus, carrying 55 passengers, apparently went out of control after skidding on the bridge over the Chilla Jhall canal in East Delhi.It was the second major bus accident in the city within a week.On the previous Friday 45 died in a crash.Rescue units from Delhi Police and the city Fire Brigade rushed to the scene of the accident.
Army cranes were brought in to salvage the bus from the canal.Meanwhile at a nearby hospital the injured were brought in to receive emergency treatment.Relatives of those killed or injured waited outside for news.Police said that a preliminary investigation indicated the accident happened after the bus tried to avoid a motorbike travelling the opposite way.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None