- Title: RUSSIA-ICE SKATING RINK One of Europe's largest ice rinks opens in Moscow
- Date: 15th November 2014
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 14, 2014) (REUTERS) PEOPLE SKATING
- Embargoed: 30th November 2014 12:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAAIUWY9N2PU5EJTWHNN80M3A4Q
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Moscow's Gorky Park was awash with skaters, as one of Europe's largest ice rinks opened in the Russian capital on Friday (November 14).
The rink measures an impressive 18,000 square metres and has special artificial cooling technology, which allows it to function properly even at warmer temperatures.
Instead of the traditional circular shape, the rink runs through the park, and allows people to explore the surrounds.
Visitors dressed in various costumes for the grand opening and drank hot tea prepared in traditional Russian samovar.
Skaters also enjoyed mandarins, which are widely recognized in Russia as one of the symbols of the New Year.
"Everything is very fine, and, surprisingly, there are not so many people, so it's even better. Also, mandarins are very tasty," said Elena, a visitor to the park.
The ice rink was decorated with brightly colours ornaments in preparation for winter.
"(I like) its style, there are cute colourful balloons, everything is very colourful and bright. I've got the impression like it's New Year time - it's approaching. There is no snow so far, but when you're here, everything was made in a very cute way," said another visitor Valeria.
Gorky Park is named after the Russian and Soviet writer, Maxim Gorky.
It underwent a major facelift in 2011, which saw it become one of the most popular parks in Moscow.
The new ice rink was first built in 2011, since then each winter it has been constructed in different shapes and sizes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None