- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: TENNIS - Sue Barker wins Daihatsu challenge tournament
- Date: 26th October 1981
- Summary: BRIGHTON, UK (VISNEWS - RORY MCLEOD) GV Sue Barker serving from far end to Mime Jausovec who wins point, during first set GV Crowd applaud GV Sue Barker serving and losing first set GV Scoreboard showing first set to Jausovec GV Jausovec serves and loses point, crowd applaud. (2 SHOTS) GV Barker serves and wins point, 2nd set, crowd applaud. (2 SHOTS) GV Sue Barker serving, wins point to get match point, crowd applaud. (2 SHOTS) GV Sue Barker serves on match point and wins
- Embargoed: 10th November 1981 12:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAAQGU4AMVYVUSZNOFHNX3Q1EU8
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: Sue Barker beat Mime Jausovec of Yugoslavia in the final of the Daihatsu Challenge Tournament in Brighton, on Sunday (25 October). It is Miss Barker's first major tournament win in the UK. On her way to the final she had survived two difficult matches. She beat the US Open Champion, Tracy Austin in the quarter-finals, and survived several crises in the semi-final when beating Barbara Potter, seeded number 5 in this tournament. Miss Barker was ranked third in the world four years ago, but has since slipped from the top twenty owing to injuries and bad form. It was her first major tournament win since 1979, when she won the New South Wales Open in Sydney, Australia.
SYNOPSIS: Miss Barker was very nervous during the first set, and a disputed point, which was replayed did not help. Miss Jausovec ran out the winner of the set by six games to four.
In the second set, Miss Barker regained her composure, and helped by some fortuitous net cords won the set easily by six games to one.
In the final set, Miss Barker broke Miss Jausovec's serve to lead three-one, and the result never looked in doubt. In this tournament Miss Barker came back several times on her way to the finals. In this match she consolidated her form and won the final set by six games to one. The prize, a trophy and a cheque for 9,352 pound sterling (17,000 dollars), brings her earnings for the ??? to 5,000 pounds (90,000 dollars). ??? benefit both to herself and ??? tennis in general could be ???.
InitialsJS SPORT: TENNIS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Sports restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the appropriate sport's governing body