- Title: GERMANY: Germans hit the lidos as weekend temperatures soar
- Date: 18th August 2012
- Summary: LANGEN, GERMANY (AUGUST 18, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ENTRANCE TO LIDO PEOPLE PLAYING BEACH VOLLEYBALL AT LIDO WOMEN STANDING IN WATER AND TALKING VARIOUS OF WOMEN PUTTING ON SUNTAN LOTION WIDE OF LIDO MAN SWIMMING WITH INFLATABLE DOLPHIN WOMEN STANDING IN WATER
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2012 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Environment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAAWGS6G5ISZIHDROEGDBAWGIIV
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: It took a while for the German summer in 2012 to kick off, but on Saturday (August 18) soaring temperatures had many Germans hit the lidos. A high pressure area over Germany finally brought full summer feeling with temperatures well over 30 degrees Celsius in some parts of the country.
At the Lido in Langenhagen, sunseekers came well prepared.
"Lots to drink of course, lots of sunscreen, sun protection, we won't stay here too long as it is getting too much for the children otherwise," said Claudia Haass.
And also the life guard at the lido, Juergen Kleinauf, had some advice for the expected 10 000 visitors at lake.
"People should take care of putting on enough sunscreen. There are only a few spots in the shadow, that's why it is most important to protect yourself from the sun and heat and also not to go into the water when you are overheated. Also people should be careful with alcohol in this temperatures," said Kleinauf.
But not all Germans were lucky enough to refresh themselves with a bath in the nearby lake. Some of them were still on the way to their holiday destination and stuck in traffic on one of the highways leading to the south.
Klaus Reindl from the German automobile club ADAC urged travellers to drink enough while on their way.
"That quenches the thirst and it is important to balance out the dehydration in order to not get to tired or fall asleep," said Reindl.
While on Saturday mostly south Germany sweats, on Sunday the heat is expected to grip the east.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None