- Title: VENEZUELA: Workers march for May Day
- Date: 2nd May 2012
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (MAY 01, 2012) (REUTERS) STAINED GLASS IMAGE OF SOUTH AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY HERO SIMON BOLIVAR VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PARTICIPATING IN MAY DAY PARADE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE, ANDRES LARA, SAYING: "South American countries are setting an example for administrative responsibility, the ability for a country's wealth to reach the workers." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PARTICIPATING IN MAY DAY PARADE
- Embargoed: 17th May 2012 13:00
- Location: Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVABAPVODM95YLJSXPYM2B6R5MPP
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Venezuelan workers come out in support of new labour law during May Day parade.
Thousands marched in a May Day parade marking International Workers' Day in Caracas on Tuesday (May 1) carrying banners and flags in support of labour groups and the government of President Hugo Chavez.
The demonstrators came out in support of a new labour law presented by Chavez on Monday (April 30).
According to the government, the proposal would give workers new rights and aims to eliminate labour fraud and outsourcing to protect jobs and salaries in Venezuela.
"South American countries are setting an example for administrative responsibility, the ability for a country's wealth to reach the workers," said a government worker, Andres Lara.
Among the demonstrators supporting the bill were fishermen and public workers, some of whom marched for days to the capital to participate in the parade.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None