- Title: IRAQ: Six dead, two missing after floating restaurant sinks in Baghdad
- Date: 1st March 2013
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MARCH 1, 2013) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF LEBANESE FAMILY CLUB SIGN READING LEBANESE FAMILY CLUB POLICE AND CIVIL DEFENCE TEAM BOATS AT SINKING FLOATING RESTAURANT RIVER POLICE BOATS AT SCENE WORKMEN CUTTING ONTO STRUCTURE OF RESTAURANT MORE OF WORKMEN CUTTING METAL STRUCTURE OF RESTAURANT DIVERS IN WATER SEARCHING FOR MISSING PEOPLE MORE OF DIVERS IN THE WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HEAD OF RUSAFA CIVIL DEFENCE DEPARTMENT, BRIGADIER GENERAL LAYTH YAS ABBAS, SAYING: "The accident happened because all the guests were sitting on one part of the floating restaurant, the right part the thing that caused the floating restaurant to swing and then sink. It caused panic among the guests and led to some people falling while others were evacuated." MORE OF THE VESSEL PEOPLE PLACING BODY IN BLACK BAG IN COFFIN COFFIN BEING COVERED PEOPLE CARRYING COFFIN MORE OF PEOPLE CARRYING COFFIN OUTSIDE RESTAURANT WOMAN WALKING BEHIND COFFIN CRYING COFFIN BEING LOADED ONTO AMBULANCE COFFIN IN AMBULANCE AMBULANCE DOOR BEING CLOSED
- Embargoed: 16th March 2013 12:00
- Location: Iraq
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVABEMR25N94M4X3FLW8BO1MDUN
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: At least six people died when a floating restaurant sank in the Tigris River in the Iraqi capital on Thursday night (February 28).
Police said more than 120 people were on board the vessel at the upscale Lebanese Family Club in Baghdad's central district of al-Masbah attending a dinner hosted by Caterpillar Inc when it sank.
Search operations continued late intp the night and were still underway on Friday morning (March 1).
"The accident happened because all the guests were sitting on one part of the floating restaurant, the right part the thing that caused the floating restaurant to swing and then sink. It caused panic among the guests and led to some people falling , while others were evacuated," said Brigadier-General Layth Yas Abbas.
Five bodies were recovered from the water on Thursday (February 28), and another early on Friday (March 1).
Search operations were continuing for two people still missing.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None