- Title: VIETNAM-THAILAND Thai PM visits Vietnam for talks on trade, investment
- Date: 27th November 2014
- Summary: WELCOMING CEREMONY IN PROGRESS DUNG INVITING PRAYUTH TO REVIEW VIETNAMESE HONOUR GUARDS
- Embargoed: 12th December 2014 12:00
- Location: Vietnam
- Country: Vietnam
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAC1JOA1ESB82P1GFCJGP0CTUI2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha arrived in Vietnam on Thursday (November 27) for a two-day state visit.
Investment and trade were top of the agenda on the leader's first trip to the ASEAN country since taking office in August.
Following reception by an honour guard, Chan-ocha held talks with Thai counterpart Nguyen Tan Dung.
Discussions focussed on bilateral cooperation in areas covered by a strategic partnership that the two nations agreed last year. Key topics included investment and trade in products such as rice and rubber, and the construction of new highways connecting Vietnam and Thailand via Cambodia and Laos.
2013 saw two-way trade with Thailand hit almost $9.5 billion, and the organisation is projecting an 11 percent increase in 2014, according to the Vietnam Chamber of Commerce. Vietnam and Thailand are among the world's largest rice exporters, competing with China, Indonesia and India.
Chan-ocha was also due to meet with other senior Vietnamese leaders, including President Truong Tan Sang, ruling party leader Nguyen Phu Trong and National Assembly Chairman Nguyen Sinh Hung.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None