- Title: FRANCE: The party goes on at Bastille as night falls
- Date: 7th May 2012
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CELEBRATING PERSON HOLDING BANNER READING "SARKO, KABILA, OUT"
- Embargoed: 22nd May 2012 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVACK3TK13XWYJ2WBWJIR1JY1OH1
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Celebrating Socialist supporters continue a huge party at Paris' Place de la Bastille in honour of Francois Hollande's victory at the French presidential elections.
Socialist supporters gathered at Paris' symbolic Place de la Bastille party into the night on Sunday (May 6) to celebrate Francois Hollande's victory at the French presidential elections.
People drank champagne and cheered to express their joy.
"It's French revolution. It's the new edition of the French revolution. It's extraordinary," one man said.
"The Left has won, the Left has won.... We have got five years to change everything," another one added.
Socialist Francois Hollande swept to victory in France's presidential election on Sunday in a swing to the left at the heart of Europe that could start a pushback against German-led austerity.
Hollande beat conservative incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy by a decisive 51.9 percent to 48.1 percent, based on partial results, bringing the centre-left back to government after a decade in opposition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.