- Title: FRANCE: Veteran French producer set to make erotic film for teenagers
- Date: 28th May 2008
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 22, 2008) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CANNES BEACH BOATS
- Embargoed: 12th June 2008 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVACTXWOFWSQ6BMNBP77Z60X6S49
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: French Producer Alain Siritzky announced in Cannes last week that he was beginning the search for a new Emmanuelle. Casting began on Thursday (May 22) with several young women invited to a beach in Cannes to meet the producer.
The Emmanuelle series of films have been a mainstay of the soft porn industry, although the last theatrical release was in 1984 with Emmanuelle 4.
Original Emmanuelle Sylvia Kristel became a star in the 70's but after she left the franchise it became less successful and in the 80's it became a series of made-for-TV movies.
But Siritzky hopes to rejuvenate the once X-rated franchise with a 50 million U.S. dollar picture with a PG-13 rating.
Siritzky said he expected to receive criticism for aiming the film at teenagers, but in order to get the certification the film would have to rely on the imagination of the audience, rather than what he could show on screen
"For the first time, she is going to be the character of an erotic picture made for teenagers. Teenagers are all interested in sex. But of course, you will say how is that possible, how can teenagers see a film like Emmanuelle. Well eroticism is what you do not show," he explained.
Siritzky says he expects to audition thousands of young women for the part, and said it did not matter where she was from.
"I don't know if she will be Indian, or French, or Italian, or Spanish, or whatever - she can be Chinese - because Emmanuelle is a state of mind. Every woman in the world, at one moment in her life has to be Emmanuelle. And Emmauelle - I will know when I have found her," he said.
The Emmanuelle franchise continues to sell and is still shown around the world, but it is yet to be seen whether Siritzky can succeed with a new movie for a new generation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None