- Title: RUSSIA: Russia detains U.S. embassy worker for spy recruitment
- Date: 14th May 2013
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (MAY 14, 2013) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF U.S. EMBASSY BUILDING U.S. FLAG VARIOUS OF U.S. EMBASSY EXTERIORS U.S. EMBASSY SIGN
- Embargoed: 29th May 2013 13:00
- Location: Russian Federation
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVAEC9KTKKGS9B31NJX4YC8D9ZI
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Russia has detained an American citizen accused of trying to recruit a Russian intelligence officer to work for the CIA, the Federal Security Service (FSB) said on Tuesday (May 14).
It said the man was an employee at the U.S. embassy in Moscow but also worked for the United States Central Intelligence Agency. The embassy declined immediate comment.
A spokesman for the FSB identified the man as Ryan Fogle, a third secretary at the embassy, and said he was carrying a large amount of money and instructions for the Russian he was trying to recruit.
He said Fogle, who was also carrying "special technical equipment" and the "means for changing one's appearance", was detained overnight and then handed over to U.S. officials.
The incident comes at a sensitive time when the United States and Russia are trying to improve relations.
The United States and Russia have spoken of stepping up security cooperation following the Boston Marathon bombings last month and last week announced plans to try to organize an international conference to promote an end to Syria's civil war.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None