- Title: IRAQ: Roadside bomb kills one person and gunmen snatch 12 workers in Baghdad
- Date: 17th April 2006
- Summary: MEN INSIDE THE OFFICE/ SIGN READING "AL-SAMARAIE GROUP COMPANY"
- Embargoed: 2nd May 2006 13:00
- Location: Iraq
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA9UF0PDSHCUKHCFM6FOGALYWDT
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Gunmen wearing police uniforms stormed an Iraqi investment company in Baghdad on Sunday (April 16) and kidnapped 12 Iraqi men, police and witnesses said.
The assault took place in broad daylight in central Baghdad, police said. Dozens of people are kidnapped in Iraq every week.
"They took between 12 and 14 employees, most of them were my uncles. They took drivers and three cars in addition to money. I went to the police station and they told me to wait the for answer of the judge and I'm waiting until now and no news from him. They said they are the Interior Ministry Intelligence, the seventh floor. I'm not sure if this is true or not. We are waiting until now for their news," said Ziyad Tareq on Monday (April 17).
Baghdad businesses have increasingly become targets for what appear to be criminal attacks rather than raids linked to bloodshed between Shi'ites and minority Sunni Arabs.
Also on Monday, a roadside bomb went off close to an Iraqi army patrol in central Baghdad, killing one civilian and wounding three other people, police said.
The attack took place in al-Sadoun area of central Baghdad. Police said that one of the wounded was an Iraqi soldier.
Iraqi and U.S. officials say the Shi'ite-Sunni strife is now killing more civilians than the insurgency against U.S.-led and government forces.
Insurgents determined to undermine Iraq's security forces target police daily, using car bombs, explosives planted in the road and drive-by shootings. END
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None