- Title: KAZAKHSTAN: Almaty residents undaunted by heavy snow
- Date: 1st December 2012
- Summary: ALMATY, KAZAKHSTAN (DECEMBER 1) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORKERS SHOVELLING SNOW VARIOUS OF WORKER SWEEPING SNOW OFF OF STATUE WORKER USING SNOW BLOWER
- Embargoed: 16th December 2012 12:00
- Location: Kazakhstan
- Country: Kazakhstan
- Topics: Environment,Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAA1VGXV46MRPDHJJNG03L8BJFH
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Despite a heavy white drubbing by mother nature, Almaty residents braved heavy snowfall on Saturday (December 1), working, playing and celebrating the country's first President's Day.
The Almaty Department of Emergency declared a storm warning for the area until Dec. 3 and has warned residents to stay out of the mountains for fear of avalanches.
But, at the Park of the First President of the Kazakh Republic in the country's second city, workers shovelled, swept and used snow blowers to clear pathways and stairs, while children sledded on hills screaming with glee.
Nearby adults sampled baked goods and barbecued meat from vendors in white tents celebrating the country's first and present President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
Motorists made their way through the clumps of snow, even as traffic signs and billboards began to be obscured by the white out.
Authorities have reported 31 traffic crashes, all without casualties, according to news agency Interfax.
The estimated 40-centimetre accumulation did not dissuade a bride and groom from visiting local monuments on their wedding day which they shared with Nazarbayev's holiday.
They were greeted at a park in the centre by women in native folk costume singing and playing guitar.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None