- Title: CHINA: INTERNATIONAL SURFING FROM HONG KONG.
- Date: 7th December 1997
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 7, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SHEK-O BEACH 2. VARIOUS OF SURFERS AND BODYBOARDERS 3. PEOPLE WATCHING FROM BEACH 4. BODYBOARDER LOUISE CHEN SAYING SHE IS FROM HONG KONG SO FELT SHE OUGHT TO COMPETE IN THE EVENT (ENGLISH) 5. VARIOUS OF WOMEN'S BODYBOARDING EVENT TAKING PLACE 6. VARIOUS OF MEN'S SURFING EVENT 7. EVENT ORGANISER FRANCESCO SUAREZ SAYING HONG KONG IS NOW A VERY POPULAR AREA FOR SURFING (ENGLISH) 8. JUDGES LOOKING ON 9. JAPAN'S CHITOSO HASHIMOTO RECEIVING FIRST PRIZE FOR WOMEN'S BODYBOARDING 10. PAUL HSU OF HONG KONG GETTING FIRST PRIZE FOR MALE SURFING Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 22nd December 1997 12:00
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Reuters ID: LVAA4CDX9LXDM4KRVOTH4OAPWIL9
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: INTRO: Japanese woman surfer Chitoso Hashimoto and Paul Hsu from Hong Kong beat rivals from ten nations to win China's first international surfing competition.
The event, which ran over last weekend (December 7) in Hong Kong, attracted a strong international field to Shek-O Beach, including surfers from Australia and the USA.
Hong Kong has been a surfing venue for about 15 years, but this event was the first international competition on the territory that reverted back to China in July.
The potential for surfing in Asia was first recognised in the 1960s, and with a recent boom in people in the area taking to the waves, plans are underway to set up Asia's own surfing tour.
Organisers of the event said the sport was booming and China's large coastlines and many surfing spots could soon be playing a large role in surfing in Asia.
Japanese surfer Chitoso Hashimoto won the women's bodybording event and Paul Hsu from Hong Kong, who took first prize in the men's surfing category.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None