- Title: ITALY: SOCCER / FOOTBALL - FIFA World Cup Trophy on show in Rome
- Date: 11th April 2006
- Summary: MID VIEW: PEOPLE WATCHING TROPHY
- Embargoed: 26th April 2006 13:00
- Location: Italy
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAACY0OPAPBSXW7JSOO0THMMWZ7
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The FIFA World Cup Trophy was on show in Rome on Sunday (April 9) at the end of its global tour having arrived at the same time that the country virtually came to a standstill due to the general elections of Sunday and Monday (April 9-10).
The trophy left the current holders Brazil to travel on a whirlwind tour of 31 cities over five continents, a trip that took over four months.
It arrived to Rome on Saturday (April 8) and will leave for Germany early next week. Germany will be hosting the long-awaited World Cup in June.
Italy have a fine record in the tournament, with three wins in 1934, 1938 and 1982 and runners-up twice in 1970 and 1994. This summer they are the seeded team in Group E alongside Ghana, USA and Czech Republic.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None