- Title: Japanese company brings interactive art installations to Beijing
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: VISITOR INTERACTING WITH INSTALLATION USING HER SMARTPHONE, SCREEN READING (English): "CRYSTAL UNIVERSE"
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 03:30
- Keywords: lights space interactive 'Ultra Subjective Space' Beijing teamLab art
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I73TQX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japanese art collective teamLab unveiled their first exhibition in China this weekend, bringing colourful interactive art installations to Beijing.
Visitors are able to explore a 'digital garden' of floating flowers and forest animals, as well as a 'crystal universe' of interactive light sculptures where they can use their smartphones to control the lights around them. There is also a 'sketch town', or digital playground, where children can see their drawings transformed into 3D animations on the screens around them.
"We designed the exhibition in order to provide an experience for the audience, letting them immerse themselves in the forest of (digital) flowers, get lost in it, find the boundary between themselves and where the world disappears, to be linked to the world, and also to give the audience a chance to find a brand new self," said teamLab founder Toshiyuki Inoko.
The Tokyo-based company says their work hopes to blend art, science and technology in an interactive way. It has been exhibited world-wide, including at EXPO Milan 2015, and in the Grand Palais in Paris.
The current exhibition, titled 'Living Digital Forest and Future Park', will run until October 10 in Beijing. In July, they will also open an exhibition in Shenzhen.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.