- Title: Israeli police question U.S. casino mogul Adelson in Netanyahu probe
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: ADELSON TALKING ON STAGE JERUSALEM (FILE - JANUARY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) NETANYAHU AT CABINET MEETING CLOSE OF NETANYAHU
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 12:24
- Keywords: corruption Investigation Sheldon Adelson Benjamin Netanyahu Israel
- Location: JERUSALEM/TEL AVIV AND LOD, ISRAEL/MACAU, CHINA
- City: JERUSALEM/TEL AVIV AND LOD, ISRAEL/MACAU, CHINA
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IC7HHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Israeli police questioned U.S. casino magnate Sheldon Adelson on Thursday (May 25) as part of an ongoing criminal investigation of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a law enforcement source said.
Netanyahu is suspected in two separate criminal cases of abuse of office. He denies wrongdoing in both cases and charges have yet to be brought against him.
The source said Adelson gave his testimony in regard to what police have dubbed "Case 2000", involving suspicions Netanyahu negotiated a deal in 2015 for favourable press coverage with the owner of Israel's best-selling newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth.
Adelson, a supporter of Netanyahu and U.S. President Donald Trump and a major donor to the U.S. Republican Party, owns the widely-read free daily Israel Hayom. The handout is staunchly pro-Netanyahu and it is Yedioth Ahronoth's main competitor.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None