- Title: Chinaâ€˜s Xi says Belt and Road forum a success
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (MAY 15, 2017) (HOST BROADCASTER POOL) CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING WALKING UP TO PODIUM FOR SPEECH PEOPLE CLAPPING XI AT PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING, SAYING: "China signed a number of One Belt One Road cooperation documents and many cooperation agreements with international countries and organisations. These cooperations and macro policy strategic development plans include trade investment, basic infrastructure, connectivity, industry and financial cooperations, cultural communication, and other practical movements, these are important results of the summit." CHINESE VICE PREMIER ZHANG GAOLI LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING, SAYING: "At this summit I'm declaring that China will hold a second One Belt One Road high level summit forum in 2019." DELEGATES CLAPPING
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 11:33
- Keywords: Xi Jinping protectionism One Belt One Road Silk Road China
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GY7VBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Chinese President Xi Jinping deemed China's first Belt and Road summit a success, at his concluding speech on Monday (May 15) and declared that the second one would take place in 2019.
Xi pledged $124 billion on Sunday (May 14) for his new Silk Road which aims to bolster China's global leadership ambitions by expanding links between Asia, Africa, Europe and beyond, as U.S. President Donald Trump promotes "America First".
Leaders from 29 countries attended the Belt and Road forum, as well as the heads of the United Nations, International Monetary Fund and World Bank. Some Western diplomats have expressed unease about both the summit and the plan as a whole, seeing it as an attempt to promote Chinese influence globally. They are also concerned about transparency and access for foreign firms to the scheme.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None