- Title: South Korea says the North's claim of missile progress needs analysis
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) FRONT PAGE OF NORTH KOREA'S OFFICIAL NEWS AGENCY, KOREAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY (KCNA) NEWS ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH OF BALLISTIC MISSILE HWASONG-12 SEEN ON KCNA WEBSITE HEADLINE SAYING THAT THE SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH OF HWASONG-12 BALLISTIC MISSILE AND LEADER KIM JONG UN WAS PRESENT DURING THE TEST WEBPAGE BEING NAVIGATED HIGHLIGHTED AREA READING (Korean): "THE TEST-FIRE WAS CONDUCTED AT THE HIGHEST ANGLE IN CONSIDERATION OF SECURITY OF NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES AND AIMED AT VERIFYING THE TACTICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL SPECIFICATIONS OF THE NEWLY DEVELOPED BALLISTIC ROCKET CAPABLE OF CARRYING A LARGE-SIZE HEAVY NUCLEAR WARHEAD"
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 04:11
- Keywords: newspaper KCNA Kim Jong Un South Korea reactions missile North Korea
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036GY7SXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Koreans were unnerved by yet another ballistic missile test launched by North Korea after the hermit state said it had successfully conducted a newly developed mid-to-long range missile test on Monday (May 15).
The North's official KCNA (Korean Central News Agency) news agency reported the test on Sunday (May 14) was supervised by leader Kim Jong Un and was aimed at verifying the capability to carry a "large scale heavy nuclear warhead".
The missile was launched at the highest angle so as not to affect the security of neighbouring countries and flew 787 kilometres (490 miles) reaching an altitude of 2,111.5 kilometres (1,312 miles), KCNA said.
South Korea's military said on Monday more analysis is needed to verify North Korea's claim that it achieved technical advancement during Sunday's test-launch of a ballistic missile.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.