- Title: UK's Johnson says Brexit bill will be part of package
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (FILE) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EUROPEAN COUNCIL BUILDING EU FLAGS
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 10:34
- Keywords: Venezuela defence Brexit Johnson Mogherini foreign EU
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GY8JT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson on Monday (May 15) said that the Brexit bill would be part of a negotiated package, as he arrived in Brussels for a regular meeting of EU foreign ministers.
Johnson also vowed not to block an EU plan to open a command centre to run the bloc's military training missions, but EU diplomats said London had withdrawn support, leaving the legislative approval in limbo.
EU Foreign Policy Chief, Federica Mogherini hoped ministers could adopt conclusions on the latest Venezuela unrest.
At least 39 people have died since April, including protesters, government sympathizers, bystanders, and security forces. Hundreds have also been hurt and arrested. Decrying the country's President Nicolas Maduro as a dictator who has wrecked the OPEC nation's economy, opponents are seeking elections, foreign humanitarian aid, freedom for hundreds of jailed activists, and autonomy for the opposition-controlled legislature.
Maduro, a 54-year-old former bus driver and successor of Hugo Chavez, says his foes are seeking a coup with the support of the United States and encouragement of international media.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None