- Title: Scores arrested at Turkish hunger strike demonstration
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY (MAY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) MEMBERS OF TURKISH PUBLIC WORKERS UNION CONFEDERATION (KESK) PROTESTING IN SUPPORT OF TURKISH ACADEMICS ON HUNGER STRIKE VARIOUS OF POLICE SCUFFLING WITH PROTESTERS POLICE OFFICERS DETAINING SOME OF THE PROTESTERS MORE OF SCUFFLES BETWEEN PROTESTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS POLICE OFFICERS STANDING AROUND PROTEST VARIOUS OF POLICE MEMBERS AND PROTESTERS STANDING NEAR BUS IN WHICH POLICE TRANSPORT DETAINEES VARIOUS OF SCUFFLES BETWEEN POLICE AND PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS PUSHING PEOPLE INTO BUS BUS WITH DETAINEES DRIVING AWAY / POLICE AND PROTESTERS GATHERING POLICE OFFICERS STANDING ON ROAD VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING IN ROAD POLICE OFFICERS IN ROAD BUS DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 18:36
- Keywords: arrests protests purges. decree hungerstrike politics Turkey
- Location: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY
- City: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H8A893
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Scuffles broke out on Wednesday (May 17) in the Turkish city of Diyarbakir between police and members of Public Workers Union Confederation (KESK) who were protesting in support of two Turkish academics on hunger strike in Ankara.
Some 30 people were detained, local media outlets said.
Demonstrators were gathering in support of Nuriye Gulmen and Semih Ozakca, who are on their 70th day of a hunger strike protest against a government purge which has cost them and tens of thousands of other Turks their jobs and livelihoods.
After members of the military tried to overthrow Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan in 2016, the government launched a wide crackdown, firing tens of thousands of civil servants, judges, soldiers, academics that authorities viewed as a threat to national security.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None