- Title: Thousands protest in Greece over new reforms
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (MAY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING IN THE STREETS OF ATHENS WITH VARIOUS BANNERS AND FLAGS PROTESTER BANGING DRUM PLACARD WITH PICTURES OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, GERMAN FINANCE MINISTER WOLFGANG SCHAEUBLE, GREEK FINANCE MINISTER EUCLID TSAKALOTOS AND OTHER GREEK MINISTERS, READING (Greek) "THEY ARE MAKING US DANCE" PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH PARLIAMENT IN BACKGROUND PROTESTERS HOLDING A BANNER IN FRONT OF PARLIAMENT READING (Greek) "CIVILIZATION" IN THE COLOURS OF A GREEK 'FOR SALE' SIGN, SYMBOLIZING THAT CIVILIZATION IS FOR SALE (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) MUNICIPAL WORKERS UNION REPRESENTATIVE NIKOLAOS TRAGAS SAYING: "Our opinion is obvious, this government fooled the workers and the rest of the Greek people by saying they will get rid of bailouts, and tomorrow it is voting in a fourth bailout, which is much harsher than the rest of them." (SOUNDBITE (Greek) GENERAL CONFEDERATION OF TRADESMEN AND CRAFTSMEN PRESIDENT GEORGE KAVATHAS SAYING: "The crisis cannot be dealt with with a new bailout. Growth cannot be made to order, growth needs significant measures to be implemented. The economy is deteriorating, and society is also deteriorating." (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) PRESIDENT OF THE CULTURE MINISTRY EMPLOYEES UNION GRIGORIS VAFIADIS SAYING: "They (workers) cannot bear anymore suffering from measures that are constantly being taken that slowly eat away at the small income they receive from working. The government must try any way that it can to take from those that have, and not from the have-nots." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING IN STREETS PROTESTERS SHOUTING SLOGANS PROTESTER SHOUTING SLOGAN AS HE MARCHES VARIOUS OF PROTESTER MARCHING WITH HER TWO CHILDREN IN A STROLLER VARIOUS OF ELDERLY PROTESTER WITH CANE SITTING RESTING AS THE OTHER PROTESTERS MARCH PAST VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST PARLIAMENT THOUSANDS OF PROTESTERS OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT AS SEEN FROM ABOVE PROTESTERS FILLING STREET IN FRONT OF PARLIAMENT THOUSANDS OF PROTESTERS OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT AS SEEN FROM ABOVE
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 12:43
- Keywords: strike protests debt austerity Greece
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Budget/Taxation/Revenue,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H88FGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of Greeks protested in Athens on Wednesday (May 17) as part of a nation-wide strike by unions one day before new austerity reforms were to be passed through parliament.
Greek police said at least 14,000 participated in protest rallies in the capital, while ferry, bus and train services were disrupted as part of the strike.
Union leaders said workers could not bear any more austerity and constant reforms by the government were hurting the economy.
Inside parliament, lawmakers debated the austerity measures, demanded by lenders in return for more loans, which will be voted on May 18. They are expected to pass without issue, as the government has a majority, albeit slim.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None