- Title: Security footage captures Times Square crash
- Date: 19th May 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MAY 18, 2017) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) (MUTE) CAR DRIVING ONTO SIDEWALK, CRASHING INTO PEDESTRIANS
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2017 08:14
- Keywords: driver one person killed pedstrians crash Times Square
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HDB6TJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: ++EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC VIDEO OF A CAR CRASHING INTO PEDESTRIANS ON A SIDEWALK++
A security camera on Thursday (May 18) captured video of a car plowing through pedestrians on a sidewalk outside of the company's Times Square headquarters.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said a former U.S. Navy sailor slammed his car into pedestrians, killing an 18-year-old woman and wounding 22 people. De Blasio said there was no indication it was an act of terrorism.
Witnesses said the motorist mounted the sidewalk in a burgundy Honda sedan and sped along more than three city blocks, knocking people over before the car hit a pole and came to rest at 45th Street and Broadway in Midtown Manhattan.
Police who took the driver into custody identified him as Richard Rojas, 26, of the New York City borough of the Bronx. They said he had been arrested twice for drunken driving in 2008 and 2015, and once earlier this month for menacing.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None