- Title: Syrian opposition meets with U.N. envoy in Geneva
- Date: 18th May 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (MAY 18, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) AL-HARIRI WALKING INTO THE U.N. FOR MEETING WITH U.N. SYRIA ENVOY SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION'S MEMBERS WALKING IN THE U.N. SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION LED BY NASR AL-HARIRI WALKING TOWARDS MEETING ROOM SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION LED BY NASR AL-HARIRI / U.N. SYRIA ENVOY STAFFAN DE MISTURA AND HIS TEAM DURING MEETING NASR AL-HARIRI AND MEMBERS OF THE SYRIAN OPPOSITION DELEGATION
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 18:42
- Keywords: United Nations U.N. delegation opposition Syria
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA0026HDAQ87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Syrian opposition delegation met with the United Nations' special envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura on Thursday (May 18) at the U.N. in Geneva.
The peace talks hosted by the U.N. spawned a new series of meetings on Thursday with no hint of tangible progress towards a deal to end the six-year-old civil war.
Government negotiator Bashar al-Ja'afari told reporters that the expert meetings were an initiative from his delegation and could continue into Friday if needed.
Opposition spokesman Yahya al-Aridi told Reuters that the Damascus delegation was trying to divert attention from the main objective of the talks - political transition, a phrase used by the opposition to mean Assad's ouster.
Asked if the three days of talks had made headway, he said: "Not too much. Original expectations were not very high."
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None