- Title: China declines to comment on report of CIA sources killed
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (MAY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN HUA CHUNYING WALKING IN FOR REGULAR BRIEFING MEDIA SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "I am unaware of the specific situation regarding the New York Times report that you refer to. But what I can tell you is that China's state security department investigates and handles, in accordance with the relevant Chinese law, groups, people and activities that harm China's national security interests and effectively performs its duties. As for China's state security department performing its regular duties, I do not make any further comment." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 10:47
- Keywords: New York Times report CIA sources espionage China
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HX6GXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:China's foreign ministry on Monday (May 22) declined to comment on a New York Times report that said China had killed or imprisoned up to 20 CIA sources.
The Chinese killed at least a dozen people providing information to the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency between 2010 and 2012, dismantling a network that was years in the making, the New York Times reported on Saturday (March 20).
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying declined to comment on the specifics of the report, telling a daily news briefing she did not know anything about it. She added that China's state department investigates and handles China's national security interests in accordance with Chinese law.
While the New York Times' website is blocked in China, the story has been widely discussed and its contents picked up in Chinese media, with one influential state-run newspaper applauding China's anti-espionage efforts and calling it a victory.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None