- Title: U.S. First Lady visits Italian children's hospital
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HOSPITAL WORKERS IN CORRIDOR
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 13:12
- Keywords: Rome children's hospital Bambino Gesu U.S. First Lady Melania Trump
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036I75TMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. First Lady, Melania Trump visited a Vatican-owned children's hospital on Wednesday (May 24) after meeting Pope Francis and touring the Sistine Chapel.
During her visit she went to see the intensive care unit, and also spent time drawing pictures with some children and speaking to them in Italian. She posed for 'selfies' with several children as well as signing bandages.
Melania's spokeswoman said she had personally written to Pope Francis requesting to visit the hospital.
Bambino Gesu was donated to the Vatican in 1924 and is considered one of Italy's best paediatric hospitals.
Later on Wednesday Melania will accompany her husband to Brussels for talks with European Union and NATO chiefs. They will return to Italy on Thursday (May 25) for a summit of the Group of Seven (G7) major industrialised nations in Sicily.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None