- Title: Ecuador swears in socialist Lenin Moreno as president
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: OUTGOING ECUADOR PRESIDENT RAFAEL CORREA ARRIVING AT NATIONAL ASSEMBLY WITH FAMILY GUESTS ARRIVING AHEAD OF SWEARING IN CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 19:58
- Keywords: presidential inauguration swearing in inauguration Lenin Moreno
- Location: QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I79JYB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lenin Moreno was sworn in as president of Ecuador on Wednesday (May 24) following a tight race that the disabled former vice president won on promises of maintaining the social programs of his leftist predecessor Rafael Correa.
The 64-year-old Moreno, a socialist, last month won a runoff vote in the oil-exporting country, bucking a shift to the right in South America as leftist governments struggle to maintain support.
Guillermo Lasso, a former banker, called for a recount after losing the runoff election. The electoral council upheld Moreno's 2.3 percent margin of victory.
Moreno, one of the world's few paraplegic heads of state, has said he will continue anti-poverty programs. But he has promised a more conciliatory style and more open dialogue with adversaries in contrast to Correa's often combative manner.
During his four-year term, Moreno faces a challenging panorama of a faltering dollarized economy with a heavy debt burden and low oil prices.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.