- Title: Tusk says EU and Trump at odds on Russia, trade, climate
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MAY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE STANDING IN STREET NEAR EU INSTITUTIONS
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 11:59
- Keywords: Russia trade Tusk Juncker Trump EU US
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IC7I9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump met with EU leaders in Brussels on Thursday (May 25) ahead of a NATO summit at the military alliance's headquarters.
European Council President Donald Tusk said after the meeting with Trump that trade was one of the issues that remained "open". Talks toward a planned EU-U.S. free trade agreement have been put on hold since Trump's election victory on a more protectionist platform last November.
Trump, who voiced skepticism while campaigning about the EU's value and hailed Britain's Brexit vote to quit the bloc, will hear a call from European leaders for him to maintain Washington's longstanding support for integration on the continent, as well to support free trade and efforts to combat climate change.
Brussels is the U.S. president's fourth leg of his first foreign trip since taking office.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None