- Title: Gunmen kill 26 in attack on Christians in Egypt
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: MINYA, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) CROWD PROTESTING AND CHANTING SLOGANS VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES AND MEDICS OUTSIDE MAGHAGHA HOSPITAL / PEOPLE AND VEHICLE IN STREET
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 14:41
- Keywords: Saint Samuel the Confessor in Minya province monastery in southern Egypt Coptic Christians truck Gunmen attack buses
- Location: MINYA, EGYPT
- City: MINYA, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IH7A6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
Gunmen attacked a group of Coptic Christians traveling to a monastery in southern Egypt on Friday (May 26), killing at least 26 people and wounding 25 others, the Health Ministry said.
Eyewitnesses said masked men opened fire after stopping the Christians, who were traveling in a bus and other vehicles.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came on the eve of the holy month of Ramadan. It followed a series of church bombings claimed by Islamic State.
The attack took place on a road leading to the monastery of Saint Samuel the Confessor in Minya province, which is home to a sizeable Christian minority. An Interior Ministry spokesman said the unidentified gunmen had arrived in three four-wheel-drive vehicles.
Coptic Christians, whose church dates back nearly 2,000 years, make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population of 92 million.
They say they have long suffered from persecution, but in recent months the frequency of deadly attacks against them has increased. About 70 have been killed since December in bombings claimed by IS at churches in the cities of Cairo, Alexandria and Tanta.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None