- Title: Who's that girl on the Cannes red carpet? You may well ask
- Date: 28th May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARIE PARIE, SINGER SONGWRITER, SAYING: "Ice cream it came from like, it started with a joke, it's a little experience what I heard somebody from Texas saying 'ice cream' so I thought it was shocking and cool. So I decided to write the song about that and then you just go with, dance and have fun, colours and stuff, you know, and it just became like, you know, a fun song." CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARIE PARIE, SINGER SONGWRITER, SAYING: "I guess that's the red carpet, this is where we go and it's really nice. Basically today is a different movie, I don't know yet which one. But yesterday was awesome, it was amazing, it was packed. It's really great in fact just to go there, it's a great feeling." VARIOUS MARIE PARIE WALKING THROUGH SECURITY TO ACCESS THE RED CARPET VARIOUS MARIE PARIE ON THE RED CARPET TOURIST TAKING A PHOTO OF MARIE PARIE WITH CELL PHONE MARIE PARIE WALKING TO THE TOP OF THE FESTIVAL STEPS IN CANNES (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARIE PARIE, SINGER SONGWRITER, SAYING: "Well, Marie Parie likes to make people laugh, have fun, and Marie Parie doesn't take anything seriously." MARIE PARIE WITH SECURITY GUARD
- Embargoed: 11th June 2017 17:22
- Keywords: debut full-length album Alien Victory French American Parisian pop artist Singer songwriter Marie Parie music pop single Ice Cream Palme Cannes Film Festival
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE AND VARIOUS UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS
- City: CANNES, FRANCE AND VARIOUS UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0086IR4U3D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: With a click of her blue-bob wig, Marie Parie turns to face the tuxedo-clad photographers at a premiere in Cannes as others on the red carpet pause to wonder where they might have seen her before.
The truth is, Parie is not really famous, but is one of many ambitious young performers hoping for a career-boosting break at Cannes where she has blagged her way onto the red carpet almost every night of the two-week festival.
With an arm draped over a security guard outside the Palais des Festivals, Parie sings a few lines of her song "Ice Cream", a saucy rap song that has been seen 100,000 times on YouTube.
"I want to see French people smiling and laughing," Parie told Reuters as she posed for photos with tourists on the Croisette, her love-heart sunglasses and lace hat topped with a French tricolour making sure she gets noticed, and possibly taken for a star.
"This is the red carpet - this is where we go, it's really nice," she said, pointing to the steps that this year have carried Dustin Hoffman, Will Smith and Nicole Kidman into the heart of the world's most prestigious film festival.
For Parie, born in Paris and now living in Los Angeles, it's not about the movies, it's about the exposure and the experience.
"Basically today is a different movie, I don't know yet which one. But yesterday was awesome, it was amazing, it was packed. It's just great to go there, it's a great feeling."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None