- Title: Libya violence causes extensive damage to Tripoli district
- Date: 28th May 2017
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (MAY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF HADABA PRISON WHICH HOUSED MUAMMAR GADDAFI-ERA OFFICIALS, DAMAGED DURING CLASHES SIGN ON BUILDING READING (Arabic): "STATE OF LIBYA MINISTRY OF DEFENCE" VARIOUS OF TANK STATIONED IN FRONT OF BUILDING DAMAGED DURING CLASHES BULLET HOLES IN SMASHED WINDOW OF DAMAGED BUILDING DAMAGED FURNITURE INSIDE BUILDING VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF SMOKE COMING OUT OF SHOPS VARIOUS OF FIRE INSIDE SHOP MILITARY VEHICLE BLOCKING STREET / MAN WALKING DOWN ROAD VARIOUS OF CHILDREN STANDING AROUND DAMAGED VEHICLE VARIOUS OF ARTILLERY SHELL ON ROAD VARIOUS OF DAMAGED VEHICLES VARIOUS OF DAMAGED PARK FENCE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED PARK RIDES VEHICLES PASSING BY DAMAGED BUILDING DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF BUILDING DAMAGED BY FIRE
- Embargoed: 11th June 2017 21:50
- Keywords: jail violence clashes Tripoli Libya
- Location: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- City: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IR5SUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Government and public buildings in the Abu Salim district of Libya's capital Tripoli showed signs of extensive damage on Sunday (May 28) after two days of fighting.
One of the damaged buildings is the Hadaba Prison which housed several Muammar Gaddafi-era officials. Inmates were moved to a secure location by the UN-backed government.
The fighting began on Friday (May 26) when armed groups aligned with the U.N.-backed government fought to fend off a major offensive by rival Islamist-leaning forces and militia fighters.
The districts of Salahedeen and Qasr Bin Ghashir in Tripoli also witnessed violence.
According to the Health Ministry, 56 people were killed in the fighting.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None